Summer Junior Volunteer Program
The Volunteer Services Department at Johns Hopkins Hospital East Baltimore Campus located at 600 North Wolfe St is delighted to welcome back our Summer Junior Volunteers. The Summer Junior Program accommodates high school students interested in administrative and patient-centered care vocations for a duration of six weeks.
The application period for Summer Junior Volunteers for the Summer 2023 Program will be Monday, March 13 through Friday, March 31, 2023.
Summer Junior Volunteer Applicant Requirements
- Applications are open to students 15 to 18 years old. Students must be at least 15 years old by June 1, 2023 to be considered for the 2023 Summer Program.
- Applicants must have two positive references from teachers from the current school year. References must be included in application.
- Applicants chosen for an in-person interview will be notified by email with the interview dates. Throughout the month of May, interviews will be performed Monday through Wednesday between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00 p.m.
Students selected for the 2023 Summer Junior Volunteer Program will:
- Attend a mandatory volunteer/parent information session. It is required that selected volunteer participate in a volunteer/parent information session. Volunteers and their parents or legal guardians are required to attend the training session together. Dates and times for the sessions are as follows: Group A Monday, June 26 and Group B Tuesday, June 27 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- If selected for program Occupational Health Services completed requirements must be submitted. The John Hopkins Volunteer Policy requires all applicants to be current on MMR, varicella, TDAP and flu vaccines, as well as having a TSPOT test to screen for tuberculosis. Volunteers must have documented at least 2 COVID vaccines. TB testing can be done exclusively at Hopkins Occupational Health Office.
- Volunteer Services will facilitate access promptly at 8:30 am on Monday, July 10th to greet the new Class of Summer Junior Volunteers 2023. This will be the first full day of the program's debut.
- Satisfy the attendance requirement for each week of the program, which will take place between July 10 and August 18, 2023 (Monday through Friday each week). Volunteers who are accepted into the program are required to be available to work a predetermined schedule of two or three days per week (Monday through Friday), from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., for each of the six weeks that the program is in session.
- The Six-week Summer Junior Volunteer Program in 2023 will allow students to cycle among different departments and gain experience in a hospital setting.
- Volunteer services will make every effort to accommodate schedule and placement requests, but please be aware we cannot guarantee specific assignments.